- Experiential, interactive, mindfulness-based training to teach age-appropriate practices, skills, activities, and Lovingkindness practices to “all” children & teens, Pre-K through grade 12.
- Deep dive into your own understanding of mindfulness and effective training for youth which is different from teaching adults.
- Comprehensive exploration of current critical issues & questions facing educators, mental health counselors, professionals serving youth, teens and children today:
|• Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
• Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
• Mental Health & Resilience
• Non-violent Communication
• Resolving Conflict
- Prior completion of the MBSR or MBCT Program (or equivalent training) is required. Space is limited.
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program
UPCOMING FALL 2019 MBSR PROGRAM Reduce the symptoms of physical, psychological or emotional distress.
- Call 305-668-3590 to add your name to the Participants List. Space is limited.
- Format: Eight 2-½ hour weekly classes, All-Day Retreat, audio files and Workbook.
- Orientation: Thurs., Sept. 19, 2019, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Classes 1 – 8: Thurs., Sept. 26 – Nov. 14, 2019, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- All-Day Retreat: Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019.
- Tuition: $600 (general public). Some scholarships are available for public school teachers.
- Location: Meditation hall. Free parking.
MBSR Grads program (new)
- Evening MBSR Grads Group begins again Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 6:00 — 8:00 pm.
- If you are a graduate of MBSR, please sign up by sending your RSVP email to Valerie York-Zimmerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“For a very small investment, we can prevent tragic future costs and heartaches in our communities. How much will we save in preventing substance abuse? How much we will save in preventing suicides and mass shootings because children feel isolated and alone? My goal is to get us to focus more on mental health and well-being in the most important asset we have in America – well-functioning human beings.”
Shore Acres Elementary is one of 15 public schools in Florida’s Hillsborough and Pinellas counties that have added a new element to its school day: mindfulness – the practice of being present in the moment and noticing what’s happening within you and around you without judgment. Known for helping people regulate their emotions and reduce stress, mindfulness has steadily gone mainstream.
In April, Miami Mindfulness published ‘U.S. Congressman Tim Ryan to Visit Miami Classrooms to Raise Awareness About Violence and How to Develop Safe Schools and Mental Health’, a feature on U.S. Rep. Ryan’s visit to Miami and his impact on classrooms in this area. His momentum is only growing. This week Jordan Heller takes a look at Ryan’s interest in mindful education, his charisma and his vision for the future.
Tim Ryan, a brash, blustery, Democratic congressman from Ohio, is probably running for president. Among his supporters: tens of thousands of Trump voters. Continue reading “Can This Man Rebuild the Dems’ Blue Wall? (Politics on Medium)”
JOIN US: Tuesday – Sunday, January 15-20, 2019, at Duncan Center in Delray Beach, Florida.
Five wooded acres of peace and serenity, two labyrinths, a sparking pool and hot tub, delicious and nutritious food, state-of-the-art meeting spaces, clean and spacious accommodations.
• Register Now: Early Bird Rates Available Before November 15th
Single and Double Occupancy with private bath. Meals included.
MIAMI MINDFULNESS (Valerie York-Zimmerman) is proud to announce a new partnership with the UTD Teaching Excellence Foundation to provide Mindfulness-Based Professional Development to UTD members.
I am delighted to invite those of you who are Members of the United Teachers of Dade to JOIN US on Friday, October 26th, for a special Mindfulness Workshop PD to nourish your mind, body and spirit while learning stress reduction skills for yourself and your students. Sponsored by UTD Teaching Excellence Foundation.
Especially for: M-DCPS psychologists, social workers, therapists, school counselors.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a scientifically-informed, educational, and
experiential approach to learning short and long-term coping skills and strategies to:
Reduce stress and anxiety… prevent relapse of depression and substance abuse… help with sleep and eating disorders… improve focus, concentration and relationships… strengthen emotional regulation and resilience… develop relaxation and better health… deepen sense of well-being and balance in busy demanding lives.
|DETAILS:||Please visit MyLearningPlan.com on the M-DCPS Employee Portal.|
|Course/Activity Title: UTD Foundation: Mindfulness – Stress Reduction Techniques for Yourself and Your Students (MPP’s are available)|
|WHEN:||Friday, October 26th, 9:00 am until 3:00 pm|
|WHERE:||Beautiful Coral Gables Congregational Church, Coral Gables
(easy, free parking around the church – across from The Biltmore Hotel)
|REGISTER:||You must register at: MyLearningPlan.com on M-DCPS Employee Portal.|
Please share this invitation with your UTD colleagues. Space is limited so please register soon to reserve your space.
FYI: Miami Mindfulness Fall Newsletter ~ Education, mental health, public policy, citizenship. Click here to view Newsletter: http://bit.ly/2wZqGY5
I hope some of you will be able to join us for the UTD Workshop and look forward to seeing you there!
Wishing you a very healthy, happy, safe, and rewarding new school year,
Founder and Senior Teacher